|Homemade Tomato Soup|| |
- 1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes
- ½ purple onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 cups of no-salt-added vegetable broth, divided
- 4-5 fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- In a large pot over medium heat, add ¼ cup of vegetable broth and saute the onion and garlic until soft and transparent.
- Add the tomatoes and saute together for 2-3 minutes, until the tomatoes are warmed through.
- Add the rest of the broth; cover and let simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Use an immersion blender or transfer tomato mixture to a food processor/blender to liquify the soup.
- Once smooth, return the soup to the stove.
- Add the basil and let simmer for another 5-10 minutes.
To roast fresh tomatoes for use in the soup, cut 4 large tomatoes into wedges, spritz with olive oil spray and roast on a baking sheet in the oven at 350°F for about 40 minutes. Follow the above recipe and add the tomatoes in Step 2, as usual.
Make your own no-salt-added Vegetable Broth with our easy recipe!
*Note: Remember to include ingredients when calculating daily intake allowances.