|Spicy African Collard Greens|| |
Recipe type: Side Dish
- Olive oil spray
- 2 pounds collard greens, washed and cut into thin strips
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- ½ cup no-salt-added chicken broth
- 1 fresh jalapeno, seeded and chopped
- 5 green onions, chopped
- 1 cup hot water
- ½ teaspoon cayenne, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon coriander
- Spritz a 6-quart stockpot with the olive oil spray and heat over a medium-high setting.
- Add the chopped yellow onions and garlic.
- Saute until the onion is caramelized, about 5 minutes, adding small amounts of broth for moisture as needed.
- Stir in the jalapeno and green onions.
- Add the greens to the stockpot and mix well.
- Stir in the hot water and dried spices.
- Partially cover and reduce the heat to low, simmering until the greens are tender; about 45 minutes to 1 hour. (Add small amounts of hot water if needed to keep the greens from becoming dry.)
For most tender greens, remove the center vein of each leaf before slicing.
Make your own no-salt-added Chicken Broth with our recipe! Or use no-salt-added Vegetable Broth to make a vegetarian dish.
Adapted from the Recipe board of the Fat Flush forum.
*Note: Remember to include ingredients when calculating daily intake allowances.